Insecurity, vandalism halts work on eastern rail line, Mu’azu explains
Insecurity, vandalism halts work on eastern rail line, Mu'azu explains
The Minister of Transportation, Mu’azu Jaji Sambo has explained that work on Port Harcourt – Maiduguri Eastern rail line has been suspended due to insecurity and vandalism of railway properties along the corridor.
Sambo who was speaking during the Ministerial inspection tour of the project on Friday in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, said China Civil Engineering and Construction Company (CCECC), the contractor handling the rehabilitation and reconstruction of the project had complained of attacks on its workers along the Abia State axis.
Sambo who was obviously displeased with the development, condemned it in strong terms, pointing out that in the history of Nigeria, no administration has invested more in rail infrastructure like the present administration of President Muhammadu Buhari.
He used the opportunity to call on the media and the judiciary to collaborate with the Ministry to ensure that the economic saboteurs not only exposed but prosecuted and sentenced speedily to serve as deterrent to others.
On the issue that funds meant for the Eastern rail line is diverted to other projects, the Minister said it was fake news as the progress made so far is from the 15% of the counterpart funding by Nigeria while the 85% to be provided by foreign partners is still negotiated.