…diplomats, women, children, given priority
The Federal Government on Wednesday said it had perfected plans to evacuate over 5,000 Nigerian citizens from the war-torn Sudan
The Minister of State for Foreign Affairs, Zubairu Dada told the media after the Federal Executive Council meeting in Abuja.
Dada stated that no Nigerian life has been lost so far in the crisis engulfing the country.
He maintained that the first batch of Nigerians were being conveyed as of Wednesday adding that citizens would be conveyed via buses through Egypt before being airlifted.
He stated that diplomats, women and children were to be prioritised in the process of evacuation..
Eleven days of heavy fighting until Monday has killed hundreds of people, left bodies rotting on the streets, and some neighbourhoods of greater Khartoum in ruins.
The latest conflict is between forces loyal to Army Chief, Abdel Fattah al-Burhan against those of his former deputy, Mohamed Hamdan Daglo, who commands the heavily armed paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF).
The RSF emerged from the Janjaweed militia that then-president Omar al-Bashir unleashed in the Darfur region two decades ago, leading to war crimes charges against Bashir and others.